2008年7月8日

Hurdle. Jump. Hurdle. Jump. Splat.

Let me see.
Experiments. PhD third year presentation. Grow up plants for more experiments. Keep virus stocks going. Form for fourth year plan comes in. Strike one.
Kill off plants from the last experiment. Dissertation plan form comes in. Strike two.
Data compilation. Find out you just killed off plants before collection of all the desired data. Groan. Strike three.
Crash, bang, wallop.

I thought I'd finally sorted out all the paperwork and jumped all the hurdles that the Graduate Studies Board wanted from me before the last BIG hurdles of thesis and viva. Finally I can concentrate on actual experimental work. As usual, wishful thinking. Only a few weeks after I gave my third year presentation, I've now got a form entitled 'Graduate Student Fourth Year Plan', with all the questions we don't want to be asked.

1. Have you finished your data collection? (I wish)
2. If not, when will you have finished collecting data? (sometime this decade I hope)
3. Please provide a list of abbreviated chapter headings for chapters already completed and the date when these were handed to your Supervisor. (BLANK)
4. Please give an estimate of when you will give a complete draft to your supervisor. (more blanks)

signed (by Student)
signed (by Supervisor) (indicating that they think this is realistic) (sigh)

I spend more time than I can afford over these things. And guilt over the number of trees that have died unnecessarily so that I can do this PhD and the blasted paperwork that goes with it. Plus it distracts me from my work.
All this paperwork to make sure that we are on track to finish our PhDs. But I need to do the experimental work to have something to put in my thesis!!

In theory, I know it's meant to be 'helpful' and not a bad idea really. In reality, a reply consisting of running jumps, River Cam and AARGH comes to mind.

沒有留言: