2009年8月10日

Joining the ranks of the employed

Well, I got the research job in Rothamsted. I am happy, but somehow not as excited as people seem to expect me to be. Partly that's due to the tizzy my supervisor has got into (and therefore infected me with) over my approaching thesis deadline, and the lack of thesis thus far. It's hard to be excited about a new post-doctoral job when you're still worrying about getting the prerequisite doctorate degree...

The other part is probably because I've been anticipating working in the US, and in fact I have a job less than 50 miles from where I am now (Rothamsted is near Luton). Not that I'm overly fond of the USA, but I feel that if I want to do a post-doc there before I settle down elsewhere, it would be sooner rather than later. I know there'll be other opportunities though.

Of course, to cap it all, I've spent weeks and weeks collecting together the samples for an experiment, only to just now find that it didn't work. It will now join the 'inconclusive data' section of my thesis.

I'm sure that the excited, happy, optimistic side of getting a job that seems really interesting with people who are really friendly will kick in progressively. So not to worry :P

沒有留言: