2010年1月6日

Cold snap

Since when has it dropped to -20 degrees (Celsius) in the UK? Temperatures that low are what I used to associate with Siberian winters, not what I would ever have predicted to occur in Scotland. Even in the south of England, at least around the Luton area, it hasn't risen above freezing for several days, and it's meant to get worse.
And whilst it's all very picturesque, it's also deeply annoying, and I'm sure, rather deadly for some people in the more remote parts of the country. It snowed again last night, and the number of people at work has dropped to maybe about 30 %, mainly because so many live in semi-countryside areas, or where there are just no trains to get to work. None of us who live in Luton town have been stupid enough to try and drive in, as last time the roads were so congested that apparently it took people over 5 hours to drive the 8-ish miles in from Luton.

When people worry about climate change, they always forget that it's not just global warming. In fact, it's not global warming per se at all. It's definitely much colder than I've ever remembered it in England right now. Perhaps 'The Day after Tomorrow' wasn't so outlandish after all.


1 則留言:

Dan 說...

argh. why does it decide to become unbearably cold the year i leave uk??! arrgh! i do enjoy the cold and all that ice is just another reason for me to buy crampons and poke the ice and stuff. and maybe make me go on an arctic adventure thing after that*. arrrgh!!!

*my shooting career was started by me watching clips of 'jarhead' on youtube....