2008年5月19日

Home

I went up to Manchester for the weekend, to get away from Cambridge and recharge my batteries at my 'other home'. Originally three of my friends were going to come with me, but two of them dropped out quite late and so only one was brave enough to put his life in my hands and risk the drive up to Manchester with me at the front wheel. I guess maybe I shouldn't have told them that I've never driven so far before and that I only got my licence at Christmas....

There's something about going back to Manchester that never fails to make my heart lift everytime I see the familiar buildings and when I know I'm nearly back. Manchester is still very much my home, having spent the first 18 years of my life living on the same street, within walking distance of the hospital I was born in, and close to my first school. Many of my friends still live in Manchester, and my friend from Cambridge was dragged around with me as I met up with friends and family (my parents are away, but several of my cousins have now located there).

However, part of me felt rather sad. There are so many memories attached to Manchester for me, both happy and sad. Parts of the city has changed a lot, but still recognisable, and at every corner images from the past flooded my memory. But I think Manchester will no longer be a big part of my future, because I don't feel strong enough to move on from the past if I were to stay there. So where to go next?

Although I'm torn between anticipating the future and fear as my ties are cut away, I know I'm very lucky. My friends in Cambridge have helped me learn to soar up and aim high, but my friends in Manchester keep me grounded and lend me their strength to keep going. And my family? My extended family are my safety net, because I know they will always catch me if I fall. And although I doubt that I'll go back to live in Manchester, at least I always know where to go to touch base.

沒有留言: