2008年5月22日

Weather forecast on the confocal

The weather is being a bit funny lately. As usual. Sometimes I wonder what we would talk about in the UK if we actually had a more stable climate. Not that we don't have meaningful conversations, but it does mean it's easier to have random conversations with complete strangers on a rather non-controversial topic. Even if the weather behaves for a while, we can still comment on whether the BBC weather forecast has, for some reason got it RIGHT for once (though that's probably just due to the laws of probability - it has to be right at some point. Surely). Or if we'll have a drought this year (it never ever ever has but we still get hose pipe warnings). Or flooding in the summer as soon as it starts to rain again (i.e. two days later).

It was nicely hot and sunny last week, so much so that when the air-conditioning was broken in one of the labs I got visitors whilst I was in the chilly confocal room. Actually, I didn't mind being in the dark and cold for once, although it meant I was missing out on the sunshine outside. For one thing, now that it is officially 'summer' the sun goes down so late that I still got some melanin-inducing rays after work. For another, after sitting in the sun at lunch I was thankful for the cool temperature the microscope has to be kept at.

Now that it's gotten cooler again, I've reverted to wearing a jumper and gloves in there.

'Britain doesn't have climate. It has weather.'

By the way, the whole point of this entry was to show off some of the images I've been getting recently....

沒有留言: